21.5.11

Delighting in HIM...

     I was challenged by this verse about six months ago and this is fully the reason for this blog. I was studying that verse...
I was sitting at my desk about ten or eleven pm reading, came across it , and was just thinking about it, when all of a sudden, I thought, " Ok. We have our desires answered when we are delighting in Him. But what does the Lord desire for us to desire??" I looked up all the references in the back of my Key Word Study Bible, (Except for one- about Samuel and David) and wrote all the references down, read them, and categorized them. Later, I got on e-sword and did a deeper search on the word desire. The Lord tells us what and what not to desire, and confirmations of right and wrong desires. This was one of my first really big rhemas.
One more truth about this verse is the fact that when we are delighting in the LORD Jesus Christ- he will replace our desires. We should notice that our desires and wants are no longer there. When our desires are replaced by what the Word says to desire, then we know we are Delighting in the LORD Jesus Christ! (I had originally posted this one on my A Girls Life In Jesus blog, but I changed the URL and made it into photography. So I just did a copy/paste thing!=D)
◊Desires◊
Did you know the God has some things that he wants us to desire? And things he doesn’t want us to desire? As well as promises of good things if we desire the right things?
“Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”
Psalm 37:4
Right Desires
• Desire the LORD.
Psa 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
Psa 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
2Sa 23:5 Although my house be not so with God; yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure: for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make it not to grow.

• Desire the LORD's name.
Neh 1:11 O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.
Isa 26:8 Yea, in the way of thy judgments, O LORD, have we waited for thee; the desire of our soul is to thy name, and to the remembrance of thee. 24:1

• Desire the Law of the LORD
Psalm 19:7-10
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.


• Desire Wisdom
Proverbs 3:13-15
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
Col 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

• Desire The Word of God
1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.

• Desire Mercy
Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

• Desire Spiritual Gifts
1Co 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

• Desire Fruit in Your Ministry
Php 4:17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

• Desire to Pray for Israel
Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

• Desire to "faint not at tribulations"
Eph 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

• Desire To Work
Job 14:15 Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

• Desire to Reason With The LORD
Job 13:3 Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God.

• Desire Heaven

Php 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
Heb 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.





Confirmations of Right Desires• Psa 10:17 LORD, thou hast heard the desire
• Psa 145:16 Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.
• Psa 145:19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
• Pro 10:24 The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.
• Pro 11:23 The desire of the righteous is only good: but the expectation of the wicked is wrath.
• 2Ch 15:15 And all Judah rejoiced at the oath: for they had sworn with all their heart, and sought him with their whole desire; and he was found of them: and the LORD gave them rest round about.
• Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Wrong Desires

• Desire NOT to be covetous
Psa 10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
Jas 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

• Desire NOT Revenge
Psa 70:2 Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt.

• Desire NOT not to work
Pro 21:25 The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour.

• Desire NOT the things of a wicked person
Pro 23:6 Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:

• Desire NOT to be like a wicked person
Pro 24:1 Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them.

• Desire NOT to be first
Mar 9:35 And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.

• Desire NOT to be in bondage
Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Confirmations of Wrong Desires
Psa 112:10 The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away: the desire of the wicked shall perish.

3 comments:

Hannah Burnett said...

Hey Ashlyn! It was really fun meeting you - thanks for saying hi at the conference! :) I love this post on what the Bible has to say about desires - what a neat Bible study!

Keep loving Jesus! =)

Adrienne N. said...

Hey Ashlyn!! Thanks so much for this post - it meant a lot :) God bless and keep you!!!!!

~ Adrienne

Sara Beth said...

Thanks for sharing this link! amazing how God works!