22.5.11

Some of the greatest books...


The twelve book series by Martha Finley: The "Elsie Dinsmore Books"- or, "Elsie Books". I would say this series is my favorite books beside the Bible. I can't say how much I love these books.
   These books are some of the most well-written books I have ever read. One chapter you are rejoicing with Elsie- soon you are feeling the sorrows- then later you are wondering if someone is ever going to realize the danger she is in- next you are crying together as you read throughout the Civil War and the adventurous events afterward.
In these books, you cry- I have so many times. In these books, you laugh- I have so many times. In these books... Well... they are just great!
I will give a brief summary:
When you open the first book, you join Elsie- little eight-year-old Elsie- in a schoolroom where she is treated unfairly. Then she meets "Miss Rose" (who plays a large role in her life) who encourages her in the way of Jesus. Elsie needs all the encouragement she can get- for she is staying with family who brutally treat her and her strong beliefs; she has no mother- she died when she was born; and her father- her "precious papa who she loves so dearly" is in Europe- and has never seen his daughter- but he returns- and her bright hopes of the future are dashed when he...~
   The first, second, fourth, and seventh books are the ones that will have you really crying. The third, fourth, and sixth ones keep you in suspense. The ninth-twelfth books are simply a pleasure to read. All of them are simply great.

     You will see her through unknown childhood grief- death of mother, rejection of father; persecution because of her very strong beliefs that were founded by her mother and the Scottish housekeeper, and later kept burning by Aunt Chloe; The egging suspense of her father's rollercoaster love for her; the great sickness; her new life; her "I'll-get-even-with-you cousin, Arthur, and his accomplice, "Bromly Edgerton"; her marraige, her children being raised for God; her childrens amazing adventures as they "woke up" to the one God had for them; (smiles- if you know my pastor!lol) her grandchildren, and on and on. These books basically cover her whole life and you will find yourself in love with her and thanking Mrs Finley for her amazing novels that portray Christlike characters, strong beliefs, a constant reference to Scripture, whether direst of inderect; and a focus on godly girlhood, womanhood, and the in-between stage of ladyhood.
So I would encourage you to buy the whole set if you haven't already- but if you can't pull yourself together to buy a great $120 book set at this moment- then just buy the first- and I guarantee you that you will buy the rest. Just a disclaimer: Don't buy them except they be from Vision Forum. There are other Elsie Books out there- but they are so revised that it takes the 1800's charm out of it. It is amazing how much the modern versions have taken out if it. The way the communicate, the etiquette... and worst of all, they change the Bible version.
Each book is about 350 pages long. About 4,000 pages total...!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I LOVE ELSIE!!!! These books are awesome!! But did you know there are actually 28 books in the series? I have only read to 15, but I would LOVE to be able to read them all!!!! God bless!

~Adrienne

Ashlyn Y said...

Really? Do you have the pink ones? I saw in the cover of them that she had a lot more than what was available from Vision Forum. Do you know where you get them? I also would love to obtain the other books she has written!!

debra said...

You have such a flair for writing...I love reading your posts!

If you find out where you get the rest of the series for Elsie...let me know.

debra said...

I love reading your posts -- you have such a flair for writing....

When you find out about the rest of the Elsie series, let me know....

Love you

Adrienne said...

Yep, really! I don't have the pink ones, I have a mix of two kinds. Go to CBD's website and you can find almost all of them. That is, if they haven't sold out yet, because they were having a sale. If you can't find them there, there is a thing called Google books that has a bunch of books on line you can read for free, and several of them are Elsie books!!!! And too, if you go to cheaptestbookprice.com and search for Martha finley or Elsie Dinsmore, you will come up with a lot :) Have a blessed day!

~Adrienne