24.5.11

Taking The Step- for His Name's Sake

   Have you ever been reading your Bible Saturday and the next day you'll hear a sermon preached exactly on that? Or maybe some type of problem in your life that was brought to light during the week is touched on Sunday? Well, its happened to me lots of times... and this Sunday was just an example. But on this case, what Pastor preached on Sunday directly correlated to what I read the next morning. He preached on "Taking the Next Step in Your Life."
  The text was Jeremiah 10:23- "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. "
  These are his points:

  1.  God really, really cares about you. Because he does, he wants you to take the next step because he knows whats best for you!Eph 2:4- But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, and the whole cha. of Psalm 139! A serious love chapter! God put you here now because you are playing a key part of history. (HIS STORY)
  2. God put you here because you are a key part of history.
  3.  The fullest, most meaningful life you can live is the life God has for you! there is no such thing as an easy life! Have you ever heard of the Psalm: "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD and he delighteth in his way?" The man (you) have to step first- and after that first step, you can delight in it. You can delight in what God has done in your life. But you have to take the step first- or you won't be able to get to the point in your life where you can say, "Wow LORD. Look what YOU have done in my life! Look what you have accomplished! Look how much has happened since that first step.
  4. The only way to get from here to your life purpose is by taking the next step God has for you to take.
   I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.  Prov 4:11-12
   Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Prov. 3:5-6
   For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death. Psalm 48:14
  The next step might not be easy. It could be rather difficult. But you  can't take step no. 2 before you take No. 1. And God is very strict about the order of things- you can't (shouldn't anyway) get baptized before you are saved. So step No. 1 in your life may not be easy, but when you look back you will delight that you did! A Key verse for this is Psalm 119:105: "Thy Word is a Lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." You may not see the reason for this first step. But God will give you direction. You may not see how this may change your life; but the verse says a Lamp unto my feet. Just enough for that one step you need to take- then the next one- and so on.

        5. Satan doesn't care what step you take as long as it isn't the step God has for You!

        6. If you spend you life worrying about what steps other people are taking- just worry about yourself!
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?  Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. John 21:21-22

        7. Take the next step no matter if it's dangerous or disturbing.

        8. Regardless of how many steps you've missed or messed up, God has a next step for you today!
       This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lam. 3:22-24
                                            

    That was his sermon.  The next day was the 23rd, and I opened my Bible up to Ps 23. I thought, "Oh boy, gonna get a lot out of this one..." mostly because I thought that I knew that chapter so well, would I get anything out if it??? But I did. I read it, then went over it again several more times trying to find something that would be different, something I haven't really noticed  before. All of a sudden, the words, "...He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake" leapt out at me! I thought "Wow! 'He leads us in the paths of righteousness' is close to what Pastor was preaching yesterday, and he leads us through those steps, through those paths- not just for us, not just for our good,  etc, but for his own name! For himself! So you yourself can say, 'Praise the LORD" and so other believers can taste and see that the LORD is good- and then follow him! And Unbelievers, too, they will see the mighty work of the LORD in our lives and spirit, and they will believe in HIM!" How marvelous is our God!
  Well, the LORD wasn't done showing me things yet that morning. I got done reading Ps. 53, 83, and 118, and I went to Psalm 143. Another thing awaited me there:
   v. 8: "Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning..." I stopped there and thought, "This is why we search the scriptures in the morning!" and I read on... "For in thee do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee." Oh wow, another one about walking, stepping, going in the way and will of the LORD! But he still wasn't done; I read on and got to verse 11.
    "Quicken me, O LORD, FOR THY NAME'S SAKE; for thy RIGHTEOUSNESS' SAKE bring my soul out of trouble." The LORD clearly emphasizes that not only do we walk/step in his will for ourselves- but for our Savior. For his names sake. We do the LORDS will because we don't want his name blemished. 
We don't want someone saying: " Did you see so-and-so? She got saved, was convicted to do this- (Anything- be a missionary, start discipling- or even little things- serve in the nursery, clean the church bathrooms... anything... you get the point!) "... and she didn't do it and left the LORD!" For shame, For shame! Unbelievers say, "Well, if that's what the LORD is doing in your life- I don't want nothin' to do with it!"  His precious name and his holy work will be blemished if you don't take the next step in your life!
   (Please let me know if this post made any sense!!! LOL! sometimes it seems as if it was just a bunch of ramblings on and on!!=D)

   

1 comment:

debra said...

You always have good posts....you didn't ramble on and on....it made sense.....it was insightful...it really makes you stop and think.