4.6.11

Taking Delight in The Simple Things in Life

That's what I have been trying to do lately, take delight in the simple things, the things that you don't notice unless you are searching, searching for gratefulness.
Notice that little flower over there, our smile watching your little brother swing so high he can reach the branches. Letting your hair out when there's a good breeze and letting it fly in the wind. Grinning when your little sister comes out of the bedroom so mismatched it's crazy. Watching that bluebird peck for it's little ones. Finishing a really good book. The little things. Taking delight in the little things, the simple things, the things in our lives that are not really little, nor simple, but they take up a lot of our life and we don't realize it.
Savoring the quality moments in our life are important too. Yesterday was my birthday. Daniel, age five, was so excited about this and was so happy to get me four presents. I opened the bag and slowly, gently took the tissue paper off the first one. It was one of the girls' play horses from the toyroom, and even though it was something as little as that (and one more horse, as well as a butterfly baby doll and his brown teddy bear, Timothy, that I gave him.), he was estatic that I loved it and that that he was able to get me something. It was so sweet, I love my little brother!
Savoring the quality moments in life. The times when Julia helps you clean the bathroom so that she can clean 'her' potty. When Daniel tells you that you are a really good piano player, and that he can't wait to start taking lessons. When Elizabeth helps you doing dishes. When Olivia brings in a toad and shows it to you. (Yes, I love toads.)
Those quality moments in our life, most of the time, are small, the times when we don't even realize what it is. Just this afternoon, My little sisters were in the backseat singing their hearts out:
"You get a line and I get a pole, Honey.
You get a line and I get a pole, Babe.
You get a line and I get a pole,
we'll go down to the crawdad hole,
Honey, Baby, Mine.
What ya gonna do when the well runs dry, Honey.
What you gonna do when the well runs dry, Babe.
What you gonna do when the well runs dry,
sit on the bank and cry, cry, cry,
Honey, Baby, Mine."/
(Too much Andy Griffith)
Or the evenings when you are sitting- with your sisters- in bed- at eleven at night- giggling, laughing, sharing stories, inbetween rounds of "My Old Kentucky Home."
Or the times when you get up real early and the snow has just fallen and everything is covered in a white blanket.
Or the times when you are just enjoying a blended mocha or coffee. (yum...)
Or the times when you are filled with pride staring up at Old Glory while singing The Star Spangled Banner.
I'm just sharing things I have experienced, that's all. And these are just a few.
"The goodness of God is the drive behind all these blessings He daily bestows on us." -A.W. Tozer
What are some of the simple things, small delights, or quality moments you have experienced lately?
~Ashlyn

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

That was a really good, uplifting post, Ashlyn. I have just got back from a weekend full of delightful little things. Walking around the vendor hall at a homeshcool conference with your sister and/or a friend, meeting people who you've always wanted to meet, volunteering your time, and having edifying and encouraging conversations with both your peers and those older than yourself. Those are just some of the blessings I've experienced :)

debra said...

Going to dinner with my grandchildren, watching Ellie wiggle her tooth until she wiggles it out of her mouth, listening to TJ tell a story when he's supposed to be working in the garden, making plans to go shopping, having Kelsey ask for the 15th time if her back is going to peel....(sunscreen....duh) seeing the smile on Sky's face when she sees me, listening to the girls sing, Ashlyn play the piano, Julia swing, Daniel preach and sing, and listening to Olivia say just a minute while she finishes a game on the phone.... a minute which can stretch into an hour.....

I love life with my family.....